“Hybrid Figures” by Yuji Hiratsuka on now in the Artist Proof Gallery
Hybrid Figures by Yuji Hiratsuka
February 29 – April 14, 2012
Opening reception: Friday, March 2 from 6:30 to 8:30pm
Artist Proof Gallery, 2010F 11 St. SE, Calgary, AB
The Alberta Printmakers’ Society and Artist Proof Gallery is pleased to present Oregon-based artist Yuji Hiratsuka’s intricate and sensuous exhibition, Hybrid Figures.
Hiratsuka’s playful and lusciously coloured etchings are set within metaphorical landscapes. His lighthearted and textured prints of figures, flora and fauna bridge eastern and western aesthetics to create a hybrid depiction of the global merging of cultures.
Award-winning Yuji Hiratsuka is a professor of art at Oregon State University. He is widely exhibited through out the world and is in multiple collections, including The British Museum in London and Tokyo Central Museum in Japan. This is his first exhibition in Calgary, Alberta.
Hybrid Figures will be on display in the Artist Proof Gallery from February 20 to April 14, 2012, with an opening reception on Friday, March 2 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. The Artist Proof Gallery is located at 2010F 11 St. SE in Calgary. Gallery hours are Wednesday to Saturday from 11:00am to 4:00pm. Admission is free and all are welcome! For more information please visit ww.albertaprintmakers.ca.
A/P is now accepting applications for our 2012 Self-Directed Studio Residency Program
DEADLINE: April 20, 2012
The Alberta Printmakers’ Society is now accepting applications for the 2012 Self-Directed Studio Printmaking Residency.
Alberta Printmakers’ Society is now accepting applications for its 2012-2013 Self Directed Studio Residency Program designed to encourage production and experimentation using traditional print. The program offers an artist or a group of artists working on one project 1-2 months of free, unlimited 24-hour access to the Alberta Printmakers’ Society print studio to complete a print-based project. The studio is equipped with intaglio, lithography, relief and silkscreen printmaking facilities. The artist-in-residence will receive a $500 artist fee for use in support of their project. The residency will culminate in an online print exhibition featured on the A/P website and the artist will also be granted an opportunity to chair an artist talk about their artistic practice and work produced during the A/P Studio Residency.
Applications are due April 20
DOWNLOAD APPLICATION FORM
- The Printmaking Residency runs from May 1, 2012, until February 28, 2013
- Print Residents are granted 24-hour access to the Alberta Printmakers Society print shop for the proposed months.
- Print Residents have reserved entry and discounted rates to all Alberta Printmakers Society printmaking workshops that run during their residency.
- In addition to use of the studio’smaterials and supplies, each Print Resident is granted a materials stipend of $500.
- Print Resident(s) should expect to spend at least 10 hours per week at the studio for the duration of the residency.
- The Print Resident(s) will be asked to donate one (1) or more print(s) to the Alberta Printmakers Society Collection.
- The print shop is a shared workspace. While Print Resident(s) hold expertise in their chosen media, they should also bring interest in experimentation to contribute to the Alberta Printmakers Society community of artists.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: There is no application fee. Applications should be submitted by email and must include the following:
- Completed Application Form
- Statement of Purpose and Time Frame Describe the work you plan to make during this residency and the intended time frame.
- 5 Images of print-related work completed within the past 3 years.
- Image List
- Completed application form (download here or available at the Artist Proof Gallery);
- 5 – 10 images of print related work completed within the past three years in .jpeg format, numbered and titled, with a corresponding image list) ;
- A short curriculum vitae;
- A written proposal of the intended project to be completed throughout the duration of the residency and the intended time frame; and
- This application is open to Canadian residents only.
SEND ALL IMAGES AND RESUME to:
All applicants will be notified by email.
Three new Gallery Programming Calls for Submissions!!!
Things are booming around the Alberta Printmakers’ Society lately!! We have three brand new calls for submissions for our gallery programming and membership exhibitions coming up in the next few months! Get your art on and apply for one or all of these exciting opportunities. We are now accepting applications for our 2013 Juried Exhibition Programming, consignments are welcome for our brand new exhibitions space, The Corner Gallery, and the ever-popular Annual Postcard Exhibition and Exchange is coming up this spring.
Click on the links below for more information and application forms, or visit our Submissions Page for the full listings.
Call for Submissions: Artist Proof Gallery 2013 Juried Exhibition Programming
Call for Member Consignments: The Corner Gallery
Call for Submissions: A/P 5th Annual Postcard Exhibition and Exchange
Handmade Valentine’s goodies for sale in the Corner Gallery!
Visit A/P today and check out our brand new mini-gallery and shop, the Corner Gallery! We have lots of hand-printed t-shirts, tote bags, postcards, and prints for sale in the Corner Gallery, some of which are perfect for your Valentine! The Corner Gallery is open Wednesday through Saturday from 11:00am to 4:00pm. Stock is limited so visit today to get something sweet, local and handmade for Valentine’s Day.